Wednesday, November 27, 2013

11/7/13 - My first "visit out" to meet neighbors:

Dolly and Alan Graham, who are our nearest neighbors, just 7 miles on down the Coastal Highway have a very beautiful place which they have built as a refuge for animals needing to be re-introduced back into the wild.  They deal mostly with parrots and coatimundi, which in a small animal resembling a raccoon.  A parrot nearly landed on my shoulder as I was standing out on their patio – which surprised everyone – but not uncommon, apparently.

                       
                                          Two Red-Lored Parrots 
                          Still shy, haven't flown down to the feeder yet!



  
                                              Peanuts on the tray - 
                     sometimes they'll eat from the hand but not mine that evening. 
                       Dolly, beside me, had no problem.  Familiarity helps, I'm sure.

                           
                                 White-fronted Parrot -  Beautiful!


Red-Lored Parrot - up close & personal

                                                 
                                 White-fronted Parrot and Red-Lored Parrot
(The vibrant turquoise blue on the bottom tips of the White-Fronted are apparently quite amazing when the wings are spread open!)

The coatimundis were very friendly and some wanted to be held.  They like to sit on your shoulders and snuggle in around your neck.  Smells of any type attract them, so when one of them crawled on my shoulders and smelled the conditioner I had used on my hair earlier in the day I got a head massage as she worked her way through my hair smelling and fingering it.  We didn’t get a picture of that but everyone was having a good time laughing as she worked her way across my head!


                         Dinner on the veranda - dog food for this course..........


                      Our friend, Bill Holbert, enjoying their antics and prepared 
                                         for when they start climbing all over.

 
                                              I hope to come here often!

No comments:

Post a Comment